The Alpha Gamma Delta Xi Chapter was founded on Illinois Wesleyan University's campus in 1914 when a local sorority (Pi Delta Theta) joined with Alpha Gamma Delta. It was not until 1927 that sororities at Illinois Wesleyan were able to rent chapter houses; previous to this time each group was allocated a room in a campus building for its meetings. With the help of many sorority alumnae, sororities were eventually allowed to purchase chapter houses in 1929. On June 26, 1930, their dream became a reality when the ladies of Xi Chapter became the first sorority on Illinois Wesleyan's campus to buy a house.
The women of Alpha Gamma Delta, Xi Chapter have lived at 1409 N Main since that day, and could not be happier to be there.
Originally known as The Williams Estate, our house was built by Robert E. Williams, lawyer and Senator, in 1868. At the time, Bloomington was a much smaller town and Illinois Wesleyan University was a youthful 18 years old. Mr. Williams had this house built to accommodate his rather large family of 13 members. In other words, our house was built with the sole purpose of being a home. It was not built to be a dorm or any other type of college living unit. Today, many years later, the warm, home-like atmosphere still exists and we feel that this is one of our house’s greatest attributes. We love that we have an actual home away from home.